Our Roots
The Neighbors of Kenilworth Story
The club, now known as The Neighbors of Kenilworth, was organized on February 15, 1895, when Mrs. Homer Taylor invited twenty-five of her friends and neighbors to her home to hear a talk by one of her friends and to have a cup of tea.
From a small beginning, the membership grew to 55 in 1900, 215 in 1920, and has currently reached over 300. The group met originally in the home of various members and it was not until October 10, 1907, that the first meeting was held in the Neighbors' Room of the Kenilworth Assembly Hall. Some of the speakers during the early years were Miss Mary McDowell of the University of Chicago Settlement House, Adjutant Turpin of the Salvation Army, Miss Julia Lathrop of Hull House, and Dr. Graham Taylor of the Chicago Commons Settlement House.
When the membership was under 50, half the program was given by home talent and consisted of an "essay" on some subject chosen by the club. The "essayist" remained in the by-laws until 1934 when it was changed to "guest-artist."
In 1913, the Isabelle Lovedale Memorial Dining Room was established at the Park Ridge School for Girls. In 1940, the Fannie Manierre Ware Memorial Fund was set up for the same school.
As a friendly group, the club has always eagerly welcomed new members and tried to add to their lives the friendliness and neighborliness that are so large a part of the village's charm.
Largely because "The Neighbors of Kenilworth" has so earnestly and conscientiously pursued its ideals of sociability, service, and study, and because it has been so fortunate in its leadership, it has earned its place as one of the area's outstanding clubs in splendid records and fine accomplishments.
Compiled by Mrs. Ruth J. Findeisen from Mrs. J. Kelso Farley, Jr.'s history of The Neighbors of Kenilworth in the book, Kenilworth — First Fifty Years.